Global Responsibility Platform for Development and Humanitarian Aid
The umbrella organisation GLOBAL RESPONSIBILITY – Austrian Platform for development and humanitarian aid represents currently the interests of 35 member organisations, active in the fields of development cooperation, development education and policy work, as well as humanitarian aid and sustainable global economic, social and ecological development.
Global Responsibility is member of the European umbrella organisation CONCORD (European NGO Confederation for Relief and Development). Since April 1st 2008, Global Responsibility has taken over the agendas of AGEZ and EU–Platform, both former umbrella organisations for Austrian nongovernmental organisations active in the field of development cooperation.
Global Responsibility advocates for Austrian and international politics to be in solidarity with disadvantaged people. It stands for equal opportunities and equal participation, a just global distribution of goods, peaceful development as well as preserving the earth’s natural resources.
Humanity and the assertion of political, social, cultural and economic human rights present the main basis for realizing the goals and their corresponding activities. Impartiality and independence, guarantee the capacity to act and make decisions.
Positioning and assertion of interests: Forming a clear opinion and standpoint towards development policy and humanitarian issues is promoted through educational work, information activities and discussions. Through advocacy, lobby-, information- and media activities towards all relevant parties, as well as the public, the joint position is emphasized, and helps in increasing the public perception of development-policy issues. This broadens on the one hand, understanding of the relationship between development aid and humanitarian help, and on the other hand it increases the significance of civil society organisations. This leads to implementing development-policy goals, improving and increasing development and humanitarian aid, as well as local development-policy work, and also to an increase in the realization of the potential of NGOs.
Service: This includes securing the active participation and involvement of the member organisations in development policy, development assistance, humanitarian aid and sustainable economic, social and ecological development, through information and coordination activities. Providing information from the member organisations that eases access to finances (budget guidelines for institutional government funds), and relevant further training options.
Our fields of work
- Developing, documenting and presenting of position papers, by utilizing relevant know-how from member organisations, as well as international partner networks (for example CONCORD).
Advocacy, lobbying and if applicable representation within boards
- On the Austrian level: Parliament/development policy subcommittees; development aid advisory board; ministries/working groups in or within ministries; the Austrian Development Agency; development bank
- On the European level: EU-Parliament; development policy committees of the EU-Parliament; secretariat; political groups; EU council including all relevant COREPER; development assistance (CODEV) and ACP; EU-Commission, CONCORD
- On the international level: OECD, UN organisations, international finance institutions, WTO
SDG Initiative 2018
- In March 2018, GLOBAL RESPONSIBILITY – Austrian Platform for Development and Humanitarian Aid, launched the project “SDG Initiative 2018”.
- As Overall Objective Global Responsibility aims to contribute to an ambitious implementation of the Sustainable Development Goals by Austria and the EU
More information needed? SDG Initiative 2018
Media and public relations
- Press releases, press conferences
- Specific campaigns on key areas of work and current issues
- Strenghtening International partners and networks in the south and east by providing space and support
Services and information for member organisations:
- Networking (Austrian and international): Membership, formal and informal cooperation
- Information centre
- Capacity building
Annelies Vilim, Director
Heidi Götsch, Assistant to the Director
Wolfgang Marks, Public Relations
Klara Krgovic, Assistant & Infomail
Roland Bauer, Campaigning
Ilona Reindl, Project Manager (maternity leave)
Lukas Wank, Project Manager
Sophie Veßel, Policy Officer
Birgit Mayerhofer, Project Coordinator SDG Initiative 2018
Our Board of directors
Dietmar Schreiner, Chairman
Harald Maier, Deputy Chairman
Erika Tschofönig, Finance Officer